Home' Air Force News : April 11th 2013 Contents 10% discount for serving
families and reservists*
1300 306 289
* Conditions Apply
The natural choice for health cover
April 11, 2013
IN AIR Force News' coverage of the 2013
Australian International Airshow at Avalon
in the March 14 edition, it incorrectly stat-
ed that the seven Super Hornet aircraft and
crews involved in the airshow were from
1SQN. Only 6SQN F/A-18F Super Hornets
and crew attended Avalon, supported by
personnel from 82WG. The coverage also
incorrectly stated that F/A-18 A/B Hornets
provided a simulated bombing mission
display during the airshow, instead of
Super Hornets. While the F/A-18A did not
fly during the show, 77SQN provided a
RETIRED Air Force F-111C A8-134
made the journey from RAAF Base
Amberley to its new home at the South
Australian Aviation Museum in Port
Adelaide from March 15-17.
It was the first of six aircraft to be
delivered to Australian historical organi-
sations under the F-111 Disposal Project.
Travelling more that 1200km over the
three days, the convoy stopped at several
towns along the way where it sparked the
interest of locals.
F-111 Disposal Project Manager
WGCDR Clive Wells said the communi-
ties had watched in amazement as the air-
craft passed by on the back of a truck.
"The F-111 had its wings and tail
removed to enable safe transit which
caused some people to do a double take
along the way," he said.
The aircraft stopped at Goondiwindi,
Narrabri, Gilgandra, Nyngan, Broken
Hill, Cockburn, Burra and Gawler to talk
to locals and hand out information flyers,
before arriving at Port Adelaide.
Deputy Project Manager Peter
Cavanagh said it was a good experience
to be part of the trip. "It was good to talk
to people about what we were doing with
the F-111s," he said.
Mr Cavanagh said the aircraft had
been reassembled and was already on dis-
play at the museum.
The F-111 fleet was retired from Air
Force in December 2010 after 37 years of
Twelve aircraft are being preserved for
display within Australia and one overseas.
Six were allocated to RAAF bases and six
to Australian historical organisations for
display purposes after being selected from
a tender process.
The first two aircraft were delivered to
the RAAF Museum at Point Cook in April
2009 and May 2011 respectively, fol-
lowed by one to RAAF Base Edinburgh in
August 2011 and another to RAAF Base
Wagga in July last year.
Two more have gone on display at
A8-134 was the 10th F-111 aircraft
off the production line and arrived in
Australia on July 27, 1973. It made its last
flight at Amberley in December 2010.
End of Op Astute
A SIGNIFICANT milestone occurred on
March 27 with the return of the last ADF
personnel deployed on Operation Astute in
Timor-Leste. The milestone also marked
the end of the United Nations mandated
Australian-led International Stabilisation
Force. A team of 24 ADF and civilian
personnel will remain in Timor-Leste to
provide training and mentoring support
to the Timor-Leste Defence Force and the
Secretariat of Defence.
Message to the Troops
THE ADF and Telstra have joined forces to
promote this year's Message to the Troops
for Anzac Day, with the hope of aiming for
more than 10,000 messages. As an incen-
tive, for every message sent to the troops,
Telstra will donate $1 to Legacy. CDF GEN
David Hurley encouraged ADF members
to support the worthwhile project. Anyone
who wishes to send a message of support
to our deployed troops can send it via
mobile on 044-SUPPORT (7877678) or
online at Telstra.com/anzacday
I'M HOME: F-111 A8-134 inside the South Australian Aviation Museum after
arriving by road convoy from RAAF Base Amberley. Photo: CPL David Gibbs
F-111 arrives at new
home down south
HONOURED: RSM-A WOFF Dave Ashley, flanked by WO-N WO
Martin Holzberger and WOFF-AF WOFF Mark Pentreath, places a
poppy near the name of TPR John Waddell at the Australian War
Memorial after the Last Post ceremony.
Photo: CPL Nick Wiseman
CPL Nick Wiseman
ADF representation at the Australian
War Memorial has been boosted with
the daily reading of a personal story
of a soldier, sailor or airmen as rep-
resented on the bronze panels of the
Roll of Honour.
The three most senior warrant
officers of the ADF led the first "Last
Post" ceremony on April 3, ahead of
the official launch on April 17.
Director of the Australian War
Memorial Dr Brendan Nelson said the
idea came from his visits to Menin
Gate Memorial in Belgium where
they did something similar.
"Shortly after I started as director
I started attending the existing closing
ceremonies here at the Memorial," he
"Although they were great and
very touching I thought we could do
Dr Nelson approached the CDF
and three Service Chiefs and told
them his idea to expand the closing
ceremony each night.
After requesting ADF support to
read a personal story and recite the
Ode, Dr Nelson received full support
with RSM-A WO David Ashley keen
to take on the first ceremony.
WO Ashley was joined by WO-N
WO Martin Holzberger and WOFF-
AF WOFF Mark Pentreath and read
the personal story of TPR John
Waddell, who was killed in action
at the defence of Elands River on
August 4, 1900, and was posthumous-
ly Mentioned in Dispatches.
Members of Australia's Federation
Guard provided support to the cer-
emony and a door sentry vigil at the
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
WOFF Pentreath said it was a fit-
ting way to recognise those who had
made the ultimate sacrifice for our
"It would take well over 250 years
to recognise the over 102,000 sailors,
soldiers and airmen who have lost
their lives serving the nation," he said.
"By recognising the few that we
can, we recognise them all."
The Memorial has traditionally
provided a daily closing ceremony,
originally comprising a pre-recorded
playing of the Last Post.
In 2004, a live musician was
brought in for every ceremony, alter-
nating between a piper and bugler,
and Australia's Federation Guard
agreed to provide a catafalque party
once a month.
The catafalque party was expand-
ed last year to twice a month where
it remains in addition to the new cer-
Each night an ADF member will
tell the personal story of a service
member who lost their life in service
of their country.
The new ceremony will be broad-
cast live each day at 4.50pm on the
Memorial's website so those who can-
not visit the Memorial can still experi-
ence the ceremony.
This broadcast is to be expanded in
the future with additional viewpoints
for people around the world including
deployed servicemen and women.
Air Force personnel wishing to be part
of the ceremony should contact WOFF
Richard Neal, AFHQ WOD, at richard.neal@
defence.gov.au. To view the live ceremo-
nies, visit www. http://www.awm.gov.au/
Links Archive March 28th 2013 April 25th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page